Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Commando i965 what do you think?

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    ... I have stopped thinking and jumped, ordered a Commando from SCAN today.

LOL
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

its all clear now
    Thanks
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • 4gb corsair red tracers
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • coolmaster 831 SE orange
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin
    Damm I haven't ordered mine yet! better go now!

Thanks
    Damm I haven't ordered mine yet! better go now!
    Lol hope not many pps jumped in front of u.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Quote Originally Posted by Supershanks View Post
    Lol hope not many pps jumped in front of u.
    ... Probably not - it has only been up on the SCAN site for pre-order for a day or so......

Now I can't wait... but am gonna have to! Been waiting about a year in total for this new build.........

Get 939 or wait for AM2 - oh AM2 is dissapointing, but this new Conroe looks interesting or is it hype, if it is what to do...., wait for Conroe...oh Conroe IS good, OK want to get one.... what motherboard... oh it keeps changing... still give me planty of time to plot and plan on how to get this past dear Wife who thinks I have got a perfectly good working computer, why do I need a faster one?.... Oh daughters (3) need new / upgraded computer as their old laptops I got cheap from work (at end of their Corporate life) 3 years ago now takes 35 mins to boot up..... transfer my existing machine to one, build new for one other, upgrade their current shared desktop Shuttle for the third.... wifey approved.... SWEET! Motherboards keep changing.... Always "jam tommorrow"..... 680i took great..... appears dissapointing - VERY expensive, is it worth it?? no not for me, what then, PB5 I guess.... then spot ASUS Commando and abit AB9 QuadGT...... Oh what the hell.... JUMP!

Commando it is!
    Last edited by EtheAv8r; 06-01-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    And I thought I was sometimes a bit excessive with the dots...

Conroe is hype in many ways - in games the graphics card is normally of more importance - in normal desktop use you certainly can't tell the difference between any of the dual core CPUs, and it's only really when compressing large files that dual core comes into play.

That's not to say it doesn't have its benefits - I do a lot of video editing at the moment, and having a C2D is bordering on necessary. You don't really notice how important, and how much time you're saving until you go back to an AMD CPU (I have my old home one at work now).

Basically, C2D isn't really that much of a benefit in use over a good AMD setup. Dual-core (be it C2D, P4 or X2) isn't of that much benefit either at the moment. 2007 will be the time for multi-core though, and especially on Vista, where the 2 cores and efficient memory management really do work nicely together.

It all depends on usage, and C2D isn't that much more expensive than a decent AMD setup.

Value for money, the 680i just looks very poor. I just cannot in any way justify that over a good P965 board.

Thanks
    Yep i share the exitement having finally jumped. Am starting to bone up on the bios. Starting with the bios pages here ASUS New 965 mobo ROG Commando Result I'm using the guides from here Asus P5B-Deluxe; Problems & Fixes particularly P5B Deluxe: BIOS screens for maximum overclocking success to find out what's what. Am also keeping my eye open omn the asus site 4 the manual, the pdf version is usually much more complete than the 1 that comes in the box.

I have 2 potential problem areas ahead on the build:-
    1) whether board will boot with my memory, Have seen many threads recenly about default bios vdimm of 1.8~1.9v not being sufficient to boot. So i need to watch out 4 that, if necessary may need to get a cheao ddr2 module to get me into bios & change mem voltage.

2) i have a lian-li v2000B+ great case but is ATX inverted now virtually every mobo supplier other than asus hacve said that their latest boards will run inverted i have checked with abit, EVGA both ok. I think i'll just have to test this mobo b4 i finalise the build. I have after market coolers that i can use if need be. Evercool VC-RE & Swiftech MCX159 . As a matter of routine now i always re paste the chipset etc., b4 installing a new board now.

Subject to these 2 things i'm pretty sure all is great.

Am looking at a 24/7 oc to around 3500 dual core which compares with a 24/7 2900 for my current 148 opty on top of which i will have doubled my memory. So will be expecting a bit more responce. Will be interested to see how my 3dmark06 goes currently i have Gfx is the biggest lever & won't change much. Sure there's hype with conroe. Its's the same hype that amd have enjoyed for the lst 2~3 years but have now lost to intel. Like life what comes around goes around. There are some nice touches in the 680i chipset, Ecc (or SLI memory to use the marketing hype) will be useful, preventing issues such as 2) above. but imo none that make it worth the extra.
    Last edited by Supershanks; 06-01-2007 at 01:09 PM.

its all clear now
    Thanks
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin
    Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post
    ... Probably not - it has only been up on the SCAN site for pre-order for a day or so......

Now I can't wait... but am gonna have to! Been waiting about a year in total for this new build.........

Get 939 or wait for AM2 - oh AM2 is dissapointing, but this new Conroe looks interesting or is it hype, if it is what to do...., wait for Conroe...oh Conroe IS good, OK want to get one.... what motherboard... oh it keeps changing... still give me planty of time to plot and plan on how to get this past dear Wife who thinks I have got a perfectly good working computer, why do I need a faster one?.... Oh daughters (3) need new / upgraded computer as their old laptops I got cheap from work (at end of their Corporate life) 3 years ago now takes 35 mins to boot up..... transfer my existing machine to one, build new for one other, upgrade their current shared desktop Shuttle for the third.... wifey approved.... SWEET! Motherboards keep changing.... Always "jam tommorrow"..... 680i took great..... appears dissapointing - VERY expensive, is it worth it?? no not for me, what then, PB5 I guess.... then spot ASUS Commando and abit AB9 QuadGT...... Oh what the hell.... JUMP!

Commando it is!
    wow lol, I know how you feel. That is deep mannn

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Am looking at a 24/7 oc to around 3500 dual core which compares with a 24/7 2900 for my current 148 opty on top of which i will have doubled my memory. So will be expecting a bit more responce.
    What CPU did you get? 3500 is quite ambitious for 24/7 use, even with top notch water cooling.
    If its an E6600, then a lot of them need quite a bit of voltage to hit anywhere close to 3500, but you may be one of the lucky ones. People seem to settle around 3000-3200 so they dont have to add all that extra voltage, but the C2D at 3000 will destroy an opty at 3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    What CPU did you get? 3500 is quite ambitious for 24/7 use, even with top notch water cooling.
    If its an E6600, then a lot of them need quite a bit of voltage to hit anywhere close to 3500
    Have not get cpu yet have been looking to get key components that may be in short supply more difficult to procure memory & now mobo. am going 6600 will be getting it around 15th i think. 3500 is a rough target that i have seen various pps use as a 24/7 setting Deanzo 24/7 = 3600 is 1. I've been ocing foer a while & realise only to well that quality of components can vary a lot, so yes it is a suck it & see process. 1st thing i have to do of course is get to know the bios. Part of the reason for moving from amd was :-
    939 - Was bored with opty performance is good but not much left to play with
    Am2 -= like EtheAv8r said earlier gives very little extra over 939.
    c2D Gives a whole new angle on things which will keep me entertained during the winter months. Just have to see.

luck

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Yep i share the exitement having finally jumped. Am starting to bone up on the bios. Starting with the bios pages here ASUS New 965 mobo ROG Commando Result I'm using the guides from here Asus P5B-Deluxe; Problems & Fixes particularly P5B Deluxe: BIOS screens for maximum overclocking success to find out what's what. Am also keeping my eye open omn the asus site 4 the manual, the pdf version is usually much more complete than the 1 that comes in the box.
    Very useful info in this post - Thanks

its all clear now
    Thanks
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin

Thanks
    Good find. I'm using Q Collect, as i live just up the road. So will get confirmation e-mails tommorow i guess, sadly am tied up so won't be able to pick it up till Tuesday. Am still not scheduled to piick hd & cpu up till 15th so i'll either have a week looking at it or talk nicely to the wife.

It's a coincidence u finding that as i was talking to some1 last night who had seen it in stock RichUK was thinking of ordering 1 from here

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II

It's a coincidence u finding that as i was talking to some1 last night who had seen it in stock RichUK was thinking of ordering 1 from here
    Stick with SCAN.... You know it makes sense LOL Besides they only show 2 in stock and it would cost you £13 more, and as you have to wait for your CPU - even if SCAN were a few says behind, it would have made no difference... and think how much easier it is (god forbid) if you have to RMA it and you buy from SCAN.

I see SCAN have gone for the money, which confirms the momo is on, and the order has moved on to picking.... may even ship tomorrow!

Please! Pretty please! However Tuesday or Wednesday is still good!

Good 'ol SCAN

Thanks
    Don't worry EtheAv8r Q-Collect is to pick up from scan, it's my local pc store
    Good find. I'm using Q Collect, as i live just up the road. So will get confirmation e-mails tommorow i guess, sadly am tied up so won't be able to pick it up till Tuesday
    It's just that tekheads was the 1st time we had seen it in stock. I placed amn order with scan on friday.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Don't worry EtheAv8r Q-Collect is to pick up from scan, it's my local pc store .
    Thats what I thought - hence the easy RMA if you ever need it - lets hope not!

LOL

It's just that tekheads was the 1st time we had seen it in stock. I placed amn order with scan on friday.
    Interesting - I set up a 'email me when in stock' for the Commando with Tekheads, but not had an email.

I once (2 years ago) had to RMA a dead Shuttle to Tekheads = it was about 6 weeks old, and I was using it as a home server running Windows Server 2003 SBS = so without it the family had no filesharing, no email etc. After 5 weeks I had to threaten Tekheads with a claim in the 'Small Claims Court' unless they refunded my money or provided a replacement Shuttle ASAP.

Got the new Shuttle (and it is still OK but as a workstation not a server - I got an HP ML110 for that) by return. Put me off Tekheads though.

Thanks
    Thats what I thought - hence the easy RMA
    Lol!! I'll go in & slap it on the counter

I set up a 'email me when in stock' for the Commando with Tekheads, but not had an email.
    I did to but had forgotten about it in the exitement.

Richuk in the Xtreme thread i linked hadn't used them either, think i used them a few years ago for somrthing relativelly small value, which wasn't available in my usual haunts.

Thanks for the tip that's not good.
    I had to threaten Tekheads with a claim in the 'Small Claims Court' unless they refunded my money or provided a replacement Shuttle ASAP.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread Information