• RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: * Star Citizen *

My system > 7970 Ghz Edition / 4.3Ghz 3570k i5 / 8Gb RAM

It's playable at 2560x1440 on Very High, but not smooth - I'm guessing maybe 25 fps. If I drop to High settings at the same resolution, things get noticably smoother, but to ensure buttery smooth frame rates I'm running at 1920 x 1200 and High, pretty sure this is a minimum of 50fps. Most likely hitting 60fps for the vast majority of the time.
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 06-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks

I just seen the new AMD R9 285 cards will come with a copy of Start Citizen and a racing version of the Mustang ship. Thats a pretty cool deal.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

OK, how the HELL am I supposed to fly this thing??!!

I've been 'practicing' ever since the DFM came out and while the Vanduul NPCs aren't amazingly difficult, PvP clearly shows I'm missing a few tricks.

I'm not an amazing pilot by any means, but I expect to last longer than it takes to initialise my HUD after a respawn!!!
    I just cannot the flippin' ships to stay on target within 800m of an opponent. The 'wonderfully realistic' physics means there's about a 1.5 second delay changing direction. I know the thrusters have to stop, reposition and reapply themselves every time, but this is insane... I'm flying Aurora, 300i and a Hornet, yet I have an average of 2:35 KDR against the very same ships.

I've tried various flight modes, disabling combinations of safeties too - What are other pilots doing in an Aurora that can outmanoeuvre me in a 300i/Hornet??!!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    OK, how the HELL am I supposed to fly this thing??!!

I've been 'practicing' ever since the DFM came out and while the Vanduul NPCs aren't amazingly difficult, PvP clearly shows I'm missing a few tricks.

I'm not an amazing pilot by any means, but I expect to last longer than it takes to initialise my HUD after a respawn!!!
    I just cannot the flippin' ships to stay on target within 800m of an opponent. The 'wonderfully realistic' physics means there's about a 1.5 second delay changing direction. I know the thrusters have to stop, reposition and reapply themselves every time, but this is insane... I'm flying Aurora, 300i and a Hornet, yet I have an average of 2:35 KDR against the very same ships.

I've tried various flight modes, disabling combinations of safeties too - What are other pilots doing in an Aurora that can outmanoeuvre me in a 300i/Hornet??!!
    no idea haha... i haven't played it at all since before they even started rolling out the multiplayer. i just don't have a pc that can play it right now. best to have a look on the arena commander section of the rsi forum for tips. you sure you're not having latency issues? it's not like they've really dialled in the servers by this point...

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Flying in Star Citizen is painful, beyond all the other things that could potentially detract from the game, this is my biggest concern. The flight model employed by Elite Dangerous is much more precise and fun to use.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Flying in Star Citizen is painful, beyond all the other things that could potentially detract from the game, this is my biggest concern. The flight model employed by Elite Dangerous is much more precise and fun to use.
    Sounds like Elite is more for me then. Getting tempted now

ZaO

Elite is more of a traditional style from what I understand. It sounds like it's much more "on rails", where different ship handling is just done by adjusting some parameters. Star Citizen's flight is all done in real time via the physics engine. There should be a hell of a lot more variables with this flight model. So it's going to be way harder to get the hang of and adapt to different situations. I'm really coming round to the idea of Star Citizen's flight model. But if Elite is more fun to you, then play that one for sure

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Elite is more of a traditional style from what I understand. It sounds like it's much more "on rails", where different ship handling is just done by adjusting some parameters. Star Citizen's flight is all done in real time via the physics engine. There should be a hell of a lot more variables with this flight model. So it's going to be way harder to get the hang of and adapt to different situations. I'm really coming round to the idea of Star Citizen's flight model. But if Elite is more fun to you, then play that one for sure
    I think my beef is the idea that interstellar ships of the future are essentially ballistic rocket powered but just with bigger rockets.

UFO sightings that gently curve away as they accelerate? No, we want boggling G forces or it just isn't a good story. I have been reading Sci Fi stories from the early part of last century when rocket science was new and there seems to be a feeling that rockets are just the start. You watch something like Stargate SG1 or Star Trek and ships have inertial dampers so you can pull 100G without blacking out. The TARDIS is powered by a collapsing black hole putting unimaginable power at its disposal, and can manipulate dimensions at will.

So this:

I know the thrusters have to stop, reposition and reapply themselves every time, but this is insane...
    staggers me. Why do thrusters have to reposition? Part of Sci Fi is to imagine something wonderful and grab that dream. To imagine limitations seems a bit, well Arnold Rimmer.

So I think I am more worried by unimaginative narrative than physics. If I want accurate space physics, then I shall stick to Kerbal Space Program

ZaO

Yeh I think I know what you're saying. As for the thrusters, they could just make it so that they readjust quicker. Or even just come up with some other cool idea like you say. Though it needs to be based on something for which the physics are already understood, for this game. Chris has said that they will/will likely be putting in new flight engine systems based on real world designs as the game progresses. But if you don't want accurate physics, then Star Citizen is probably not for you. They've been very clear with how they're doing the flight model. It's not going to have that atmospheric feel to it when it's in space.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

One of my bugbears is they're applying realistic physics to completely unrealistic vehicles/weapons/usage.

If you do want realistic space then SC isn't for you either. But this *isn't* a space simulator, the original backers were clear - they wanted a continuation of both the Wing Commander and Privateer style games. If they can bear to tear themselves away from the almost tribal money input streams they ought to just stop the direction they're heading in and start over. They can afford to and it'd get back to the original aims of the game.

Maybe have an unfun 'realistic' flight mode for a DLC or something. The original Test Drive Unlimited had this - a 'hardcore' mode. The normal mode behaved more or less how you wanted a car game to. The hardcore mode was fully simulated physics with tyre loads, temps etc. And it really sucked.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    One of my bugbears is they're applying realistic physics to completely unrealistic vehicles/weapons/usage.

If you do want realistic space then SC isn't for you either. But this *isn't* a space simulator, the original backers were clear - they wanted a continuation of both the Wing Commander and Privateer style games. If they can bear to tear themselves away from the almost tribal money input streams they ought to just stop the direction they're heading in and start over. They can afford to and it'd get back to the original aims of the game.

Maybe have an unfun 'realistic' flight mode for a DLC or something. The original Test Drive Unlimited had this - a 'hardcore' mode. The normal mode behaved more or less how you wanted a car game to. The hardcore mode was fully simulated physics with tyre loads, temps etc. And it really sucked.
    That's just your preference. There's plenty of us that prefer realistic physics with proper car setups etc over arcade style handling...

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I think there is a bit of both here.

We have to assume for any space game to work that someone has found a way to do faster than light travel. That rather bends physics as we understand it, so you need a little suspension of disbelief to make the game work. If you don't then you just re-invented Desert Bus, one of the most tedious vehicle games ever, but in 3D. So the physics needs to be believable, but with some assumptions.

I think the driving sim is a good analogy. Think of what people were saying 100 years ago about cars. The idea of being able to pull over 1G of lateral acceleration would be laughed at, but thanks to improvements in tyre technology and downforce aerodynamics we think nothing of it. But do I want accurate physics in a driving game? Well I don't want the physics to be laughable. I stopped playing Gran Tourismo 5 because in a V8 Lotus Esprit I couldn't catch a Clio Sport, and that is just silly.

But then this is a game, and to make it fun I don't put driving games on maximum realism. Why? Because if I do something wrong in my kit car then I can feel the grip going and catch it, but in a game in supposedly the same car I don't get the same feedback so I end up pointing the wrong way. So without a lot of expensive hydraulics around my seat, I will take a bit of piloting assist please.

OFC if you want realism, then humans don't fly space ships. Ground control fly them. That would be really dull

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    That's just your preference. There's plenty of us that prefer realistic physics with proper car setups etc over arcade style handling...
    I hate arcade racing games. But the most fun games, like GT, Shift 2, rFactor etc. aren't simulating for the sake of it, they're only doing what makes a game feel more realistic and fun - under the hood they are not running a physics simulation, instead they're emulating. That was my point about TDU - they tried to do the simulation thing and the experience was far worse.

And what car games are certainly not doing is trying to simulate something completely unrealistic like say flying saucers around Donington.

Registered+
    Thanks

You guys must be loving the latest patch then...

Given up trying to dogfight in swarm due to the issues they currently have with KB+M and gamepads.

Hopefully another patch will be out soon to address those issues.

Best
    AJ

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

A week with access to all trainer ships; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...mmander-Lineup

Greeting Citizens,

In honor of Star Citizen’s second anniversary we are opening up all five available trainer hips for use in Arena Commander for a whole week! All backers now have the ability to fly the Aurora, 300i, Hornet, M50, and the 350R. While we wanted to give our fans a small gift, this is also very valuable for the future of the game. We want to see different combinations of ships across all the Arena Commander modes, this will also allow us to stress test the game in a ways we have not been able to yet. All five ships will be available to all backers, and in your hangars, from October 10th – October 17th. In the future, we will use this system to unlock specific ships for test purposes as feedback is needed.

Thank you Citizens for you dedication and continued support of Star Citizen! Be sure to post your experiences on the forums… and we’ll be watching you!

ZaO

How is the DFM feeling right now? I haven't logged in for ages.. Probably won't again until I've built a new gaming rig. My current rig can't even load this with its DX10 card. And even if it could, it'd run at about 5fps on lowest settings I think haha

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information