Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Unhappy.

Registered+
    Thanks

Very Unhappy.

Hi everyone, sorry for such a long first post but I am having a really awfull weekend thanks to scan.
    I recently had dealings with scans returns people and I am not only very disappointed but frustrated as well. Quite a while ago, I bought a Tyan k8we motherboard from scan along with other components to build up a workstation. I was happy with the system until a couple of months ago, when I decided to max out the ram and install 16gb.

This motherboard has two CPUs and each has a bank of 4 dimm slots. I started having random bsods on xp64 startup. At first I thought it might be the ram or driver issues. I got down to testing, ran a couple of mem-test cycles (16gb takes forever ), did a fresh minimal install, but still had these problems. Two months ago I decided it was time to use my manufacturer's guarantee. I email-ed scan and asked them what the procedure was. They gave me an rma number and told me to send it to them and they'll sort it out if they find any faults. I was quite happy with this, but didn't expect what was about to come.

I sent them the motherboard and waited for some kind of update. None came. I phoned them and it turned out they couldn't find the board. They asked me for a tracking number, I gave it to them then continued waiting. This took a while, after several phone calls I was told the board was found and was being tested. Later I got an email stating there was a fault on the board.

I waited for an update about what was happening to it again but none came. When I phoned they told me sending the board to Tyan could take a while and couldn't tell me anything about its current status. So I thought I'd contact tyan and ask them what the status was. They said I'd need to get the RMA number they provided scan with in order to look it up. I phoned scan, but they couldn't tell me. They told me it was another department that deals with it and they'll email them. I waited again, but for the sake of consistency, yet again there was no response. I have worked in call centres myself, and understand how difficult the job can be, so I don't often loose my temper with call centner agents. But I also know that if you wanted to get something done quickly, the fastest way is to get up and walk over to the required department with a pen and piece of paper and just ask the customer's question. Some companies have call centres all over the world, so this wouldn't apply to them, but unless scan has their returns department in another city, it applies.

The phone calls went on for a while yet I could not get any help. Then I got fed up and started asking for a manager. This itself was a whole new process as there is no manager in on weekends, they finish at 16.00 (before the department closes), he was out to lunch or not at his table. Along with each of these responses I was told a manager would get back to me. Never happened. I finally did manage to get through and spoke to a manager. He told me the board was sent to the supplier here in the U.K. and not Tyan...... fair enough, I don't know what the procedures are, but why don't the agents know them either? Is it standard procedure to send it to the supplier instead of the manufacturer anyway ? I was promised a call back by the manager after he investigates the situation.

He called me back the same day to tell me the board should be back imminently. I asked what was done to the board, was it repaired or replaced, replaced with a new or refurbished model, he could not tell me.

I waited apprehensively for the board to arrive. One thing I should mention at this point is that I left the processors and the fan brackets on the board as the opteron 265s have the memory controller built into the CPU and not on the board, so I wasn't sure the fault was not in the CPU (scan confirmed them to be clean however). I got the board back, got the CPUs..... no fan brackets.Great! Phoned them up , the agent asks me if it was the second time I call about missing fan brackets for my tyan board that day. I said no, he then tells me some one else called with the same problem that day, how reassuring!! They couldn't get back my original brackets and backplates so I settled for what they sourced for me.Got it on Friday.

Here comes the finale (sorry if I put anyone to sleep). I put the system back together. Powered it on, Monitor was blank. It didn't start. Checked to make sure everything was properly connected. Started removing ram dims to check if the problem was still there, and of-course it was . The system started when only the fist dimm slot on CPU 1's bank was populated. I tried putting all of them back in but it didn't boot again. Thought I'd try taking the last one out, maybe I can narrow it down to a faulty dimm, and thats when it happened. I stopped testing immediately and powered down.The temperature emanating from the ram chips was high, very high. I put my hand over the bank of CPU 2 and that was normal.

I sent scan a board that had random bsods, got a board back that does not boot, and might have fried 8gb of ram. Great going SCAN. I've already spent £20 sending it to them once. How many times do I need to send it to them to get a working board? I'd love to know why a board was sent to me that did not work, and could have damaged my components. I would also like to know if scan is going to take responsibility for any damage done . Does scan have a complaints procedure as I couldn't find any on their web site? Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 17-02-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Very Unhappy.

I'm sorry, I may have missed it but how long did the whole RMA procedure take?

Regardless, this doesn't paint a very good picture of Scan's RMA procedure.

Yb202, I hope everything gets sorted soon for you.

Thanks
    • Dr Cool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P31-DS3L
      • CPU:
      • E7500
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB Adata 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 330
      • Case:
      • Antec Three Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • XP home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA

I've just read your post word for word and I must say that is very worrying. But do not lose hope yet. I've had a lot of problems with scans customer support (phone calls) But on this forum they've very ten times as helpful and honest. Most of the time I just come here if I have an issue as half of the call center peeps tell me the wrong things.
    Scan FTW

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the support, its much appreciated. I am not sure when I phoned scan for the first time, but according to the post office tracking number , they received the board on the 21st of June 2008.

Thanks
    • Madafwo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6TD Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Drive of some description
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560Ti 448 Core
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 40" TV
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb @ 8Mb

How long did you have the board before sending it back?

I can appriciate 2 months being a long time without a resolution to the issue, but if all Scan did was return the board to the supplier/manufacturer and then passed whatever they did on to you the blame can't all be levied at Scan.

Yeah, they could have been a bit forthcoming with answers to your questions but as you have worked in a call centre yourself, you will know that you can't always get up from your desk and ask the people questions straight away, you may actually have to answer some calls.

Also, what difference does it make if it was sent back to the supplier or the manufacturer, it had to be sent back somewhere that wasn't Scan, therefore it was out of their hands, and they had to wait for details from someone else before they could update you, and if they weren't updated what could they do? Give you a call to say "no news yet"?

Wait until someone at Scan gets on here tomorrow and no doubt the issue will be resolved as quickly as possible.
    "I've heard there is a common problem with this item from forums" - If you read some forums they believe Elvis was abducted by aliens, doesn't mean it's true.

Registered+
    Thanks

The date on the receipt is 21 April 2006, therefore the manufacturers warranty and not scan's warranty. If your next question would be why wait until now, thats in my post. I didn't have issue until populating all the dimm slots, the board couldn't handle it for some reason, the fault being with the board was confirmed by scan.

"all Scan did was return the board to the supplier/manufacturer and then passed whatever they did on to you the blame can't all be levied at Scan." No , not really. Scan mucked about and couldn't find my board before sending it to the supplier. Then they misinformed me about what was happening to the board and as you said they were not forthcoming.

As for your comment about me working in a call centre, all I can say is that I am confident that Scan's call agents have a hold button at their disposal and the occasional customer satisfaction surveys which I would rate extremely disappointing. Taking calls is NOT the job. I wish agents would realise this . Resolving customer queries is the job. I do not spend time calling call centres just to have some one to talk to .

They could have updated me by telling me that they misinformed me in the first place and that the board was with such and such a company for such and such a reason. Yes, it matters who they send the board to as its a manufacturer's guarantee and if that guarantee was voided for any reason I need to know about it.

"no doubt the issue will be resolved as quickly as possible" I certainly hope so but after two months and a toaster for a board I have to ask,how do you know? Is it blind faith?

I'm sorry if I came of sounding angry or rude. But frankly, I am angry, and after reading some of the other complaints on this forums I noticed two things. First, things do seem to get sorted when a big enough fuss is kicked up, which is bitter sweet as it gives me hope, but at the same time makes me wonder why an online forum is the best place to deal with these matters and not over the phone while speaking to trained representatives. Second, your comments in the forums seem to be very biased in favour of scan and not always helpful in anyway.
    Last edited by yb202; 26-08-2008 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    • Madafwo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6TD Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Drive of some description
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560Ti 448 Core
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 40" TV
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb @ 8Mb

Quote Originally Posted by yb202 View Post
    The date on the receipt is 21 April 2006, therefore the manufacturers warranty and not scan's warranty. If your next question would be why wait until now, thats in my post. I didn't have issue until populating all the dimm slots, the board couldn't handle it for some reason, the fault being with the board was confirmed by scan.
    Not at all, sometimes issues are only detected when you try and use the system to its fullest capacity. It's in warranty, return it when you like.

Quote Originally Posted by yb202
    "all Scan did was return the board to the supplier/manufacturer and then passed whatever they did on to you the blame can't all be levied at Scan." No , not really. Scan mucked about and couldn't find my board before sending it to the supplier. Then they misinformed me about what was happening to the board and as you said they were not forthcoming.
    I'm sure they didn't play Hide and Seek with your motherboard, if they couldn't find it, there must have been a reason. All manner of things could have happend such as the board wasn't passed to the testing department by the goods in department or anything, we don't know. Obviously the people on the phone did try an get information, because they do want to get issues resolved, whats the point in just fobbing you off delibratly all the time, it just increases the work load, but if they weren't given the information what could they do? Maybe they did go any speak to the relevant person, but what if they weren't told anything?

As for your comment about me working in a call centre, all I can say is that I am confident that Scan's call agents have a hold button at their disposal and the occasional customer satisfaction surveys which I would rate extremely disappointing. Taking calls is NOT the job. I wish agents would realise this . Resolving customer queries is the job. I do not spend time calling call centres just to have some one to talk to .
    I also worked in a call centre, and I know how difficult it can be to get away from the phone. My primary job was to answer the phone, "Call is king" if it rings, you answer it, if you have people phoning up, you answer it.

You can't always just get up from your desk to go have a chat with someone about a specific issue, sometimes you have to slog through a number of calls and rely on other methods of communcation to get things done, OK it might not always work, but what more can you do. I bet you'd be more annoyed by being left hanging for half an hour because noone was there to answer the phone than speak to someone who is trying to get the information.

They could have updated me by telling me that they misinformed me in the first place and that the board was with such and such a company for such and such a reason. Yes, it matters who they send the board to as its a manufacturer's guarantee and if that guarantee was voided for any reason I need to know about it.
    Scan may not have a relationship directly with the manufacturer and only have a relationship with a UK supplier, indirectly it may have gone back to Tyan via a supplier, or may have just gone back directly to a supplier for them to sort out a replacement from their stock.

Unfortunatly call centre agents don't know everything, so yes they may have told you it was going to the manufacturer, but do you really want to sit there for half an hour while the perosn on the end of the phone explains the exact process that it has to go to one company, who may in turn have bought it form another supplier, who may have bought the item from Tyan? How is the person on the end of the phone meant to know that? How is anybody in Scan meant to know the exact supply chain of that motherboard?

"no doubt the issue will be resolved as quickly as possible" I certainly hope so but after two months and a toaster for a board I have to ask,how do you know? Is it blind faith?
    Not blind faith, if you look through this forum, specifically the Sca.care forums you will find that almost every issue gets resolved, and quite quickly. As you're new here you may not have seen that yet.

I'm sorry if I came of sounding angry or rude. But frankly, I am angry, and after reading some of the other complaints on this forums I noticed two things. First, things do seem to get sorted when a big enough fuss is kicked up, which is bitter sweet as it gives me hope, but at the same time makes me wonder why an online forum is the best place to deal with these matters and not over the phone while speaking to trained representatives. Second, your comments in the forums seem to be very biased in favour of scan and not always helpful in anyway.
    I try to bring a balanced view, a lot of people come on heer kicking and screaming, get an issue resolved and very rarely say thank you. I'm sorry if my views seem biased but having worked in this area before I know how disheartening it can be for the people on the end of the phone who do try to get issues resolved for people but never get any thanks when the issues do get resolved.

If I had been waiting for 2 months for a resolution to an issue I would be fuming and the first person to be on here to raise the issue, but as I have said in previous threads, I'd come on asking for help (which you have done, and not just rant, fair play) to see what can be done.

I'm sorry you don't see some of my comments as helpful, but if I could help in terms of getting the issue resolved I would, but short of giving information where possible there isn't anything I can do.
    "I've heard there is a common problem with this item from forums" - If you read some forums they believe Elvis was abducted by aliens, doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks

yb202

The returns Manager is looking into this now and will be posting a response shortly.

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

yb202,

Can you please post your previous RMA number so I can look into this further, the replacement board from my knowledge of this case was brand new, but again I need to check the information fully.

Wesley

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the reposnse. My RMA is [removed for security by Lee @ SCAN]
    Last edited by Lee H; 26-08-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

yb202,

I have checked the records and can confirm the motherboard was a brand new board. Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates available for this board which may resolve the no post problem when memory is fully populated ?

Wesley

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

IIRC most motherboards need a little bit of oomph in regards to the voltage supplied to the memory in order for them to function.

Registered+
    Thanks

The bios on the board was 1.03 . The latest bios availale is 1.05. I did not turn on the pc after the ram started overheating to avoid any possible damage. I have two concerns with the board right now

a) The fact that it does not post

b) the fact that the ram in cpu0's bank is a lot hotter than normal. Although I dont have exact measuremts, I do not recollect such high temperatures in the past when I haad to access the motherboard, and I also have cpu1's bank as a reference. The difference in temperatures is too high to ignore.

Due to this reason I am reluctant to power on the system.

Registered+
    Thanks

About the oomph, if u mean increase the voltage in the bios, this board is not able to do that . I dont mind following your instructions regarding updateing the bios, but I want some kind of assurance regarding any damages done to my system by powering it on.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

the oomph needed is usually a boost in the northbridge voltage to get things stable (often needs doing on regular boards when using 4 DIMMs)

but if you don't have the option to then your a bit stuck...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Registered+
    Thanks

yb202

An RMA has already been issued and we already have a new replacement waiting for you.

Wesley

Thread Information