Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital SLR discussion thread...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    You do pay VAT @17.5%
    7 Day Shop do the Canon 20D for £949 with VAT paid!
    EDIT> Oops! With the 18-55 lens it's £995 inc VAT
    Canon do appear to have had a lot of quality problems with the 20D (dust on the sensors etc.)
    Really? Is that compared to the 10D, or compared to Nikons? All Canons that use CMOS sensors are inherently more dust-resistant than cameras that use CCDs for the simple reason that CCDs create static (CCD=Charge Coupled Device). (Although the Canon 1DS manages to buck that trend!)
    If you mean brand new 20Ds are dusty, that's bad. But after 3 months' use even those dirty 20Ds may have less dust on their sensors than a Nikon D70 that started spotless!
    NB Check article and links here.
    Last edited by rajagra; 03-02-2005 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    well, you can use SLR lenses on dSLRs but - depending on the type - certain functions may not be accessable. I doubt this affects things though as they probably work fine mostly - canon/nikon just want you to get another expensive lens!
    Actually it's the other way round. The digital lenses introduced by Canon are cheaper (than identical full-frame lenses would be), as they don't need to focus an image that covers the 35mm area - just the smaller digital sensor. This also means the lenses are smaller and lighter.
    But if you want to stick with the older EF lenses - they work just fine! (Possibly with exceptions e.g. tilt-and-shift lenses?)
    This is one area where Canon really got their act together back in the 80's - they made the FD mount redundant and created the electronic EF mount from scratch. Meaning it was very future-proof, and still serves its purpose well 20 years later, a lifetime in technological terms. I'm not going to start a Nikon vs Canon debate here, both companies deserve respect, but Canon should be congratulated on their forward thinking, and willingness to take a huge risk. It paid off.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Canon do appear to have had a lot of quality problems with the 20D (dust on the sensors etc.)
    yes, so it seems. Tom's problems were down to hot pixels or dead ones...I saw some of his test pictures and they were quite revealing. put me off getting a digital camera for some time. Also I know that they are not assembled in a dust free zone...bit pants tbh
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    7 Day Shop do the Canon 20D for £949 with VAT paid!
    EDIT> Oops! With the 18-55 lens it's £995 inc VAT

Really? Is that compared to the 10D, or compared to Nikons? All Canons that use CMOS sensors are inherently more dust-resistant than cameras that use CCDs for the simple reason that CCDs create static (CCD=Charge Coupled Device). (Although the Canon 1DS manages to buck that trend!)
    If you mean brand new 20Ds are dusty, that's bad. But after 3 months' use even those dirty 20Ds may have less dust on their sensors than a Nikon D70 that started spotless!
    NB Check article and links here.
    7dayshops are grey imports iirc.

& yes it is brand new 20D's with dust on them in the box.
    I know of a couple of people who have gone into a shop & gone through 4 or 5 to find one that was acceptable.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    Tom's problems were down to hot pixels or dead ones...I saw some of his test pictures and they were quite revealing. put me off getting a digital camera for some time.
    Possibly all DSLRs suffer from hotspots, just as TFTs can have duff pixels. I think they are tested during production, and any bad pixels are flagged. Then when a picture is taken they ignore bad pixels by interpolating from surrounding ones. (Could be wrong, tho')
    I wonder if RAW files retain all these defects instead?
    I wonder if refurbished cameras just have the extra pixels added to the list?
    You can get software that analyzes images, identifies remaining bad pixels, and deals with them. Not an ideal solution by a long way, but an OK workaround if you need it.
    I've never noticed hot/dead pixels in my D30 or 10D pictures. I have noticed dust spots, but only when stopped down to F11 or smaller.
    Example here.

Thanks
    i guess the 10d and d30 were not as accessable as the newer - cheaper -dSLRs so the demand has now gone up dramatically the cost of producing them has had to be reconsidered...and corners inevitabley get cut in the 'cheaper' models...despite them being lots of money! thats the only thought I can come up with that explains why lots more turn up with dust/dead pixels. the fact that there are more of them out there - by law of averages - means that there will be a certain proportion that are faultly...these things just happen, can't have 100% stock working. I always imagine the analogy of the light-bulb maker who knows at least 2% of his bulbs are going to be faulty no matter what. so when dealing with a high precision bit of kit, like a camera there is the greater potential for it to go wrong (or not be quite right would be a better way of looking at it) due to the many bits inside it, just one break of the chain of circuitry or wrong 'command', and cap-ut! doesn't work. canon expect this and is factored into their costs.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    FYI, Fixation can clean a DSLR's mirror box area, the underside of the focus screen and the sensor while you wait for £25.
    See here & scroll down.
    They are near Vauxhall Bridge, London. I've only used them once, to repair a lens, but they did a good job. As you would expect from people who deal with professional photographers (doesn't include me!)

Thanks
    Sorry, I meant you don't pay tax or duty on digital cameras bought when abroad. Ie, if you went to NYC and bought a 20D you don't have to declare it. At least that's what it says in this Guardian article I have in front of me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakey
    Sorry, I meant you don't pay tax or duty on digital cameras bought when abroad. Ie, if you went to NYC and bought a 20D you don't have to declare it. At least that's what it says in this Guardian article I have in front of me.
    If you start quoting the Grauniad to Customs, they'll snap on the rubber gloves before you can say "hang on, we haven't been properly introduced!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakey
    You are allowed up to a personal limit of ~£140 iirc before they start hitting you for VAT when bringing stuff back yourself. Mail/online ordering starts at £18 unfortunately.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB DDR400 Corsair XMS
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2.5" 64GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce G210T / Geforce 7800GT
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    Just post the receipts home and its safe sailing

Thanks
    well i got a bike through...no questions asked. i guess cause I'd used it for a good 4-5 months meant it looked used