Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On behalf of several people's experiences with Scan.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thumbs down On behalf of several people's experiences with Scan.

I have created this message on behalf of several people who are having very poor experiences with Scan. I could not get a direct email for scan, but i found here through some searching, so I hope i get a response. This message was created as an Email, so forgive the non-forum tone.
    ----------
    To Scan.co.uk

I just thought you would like to know that I am appalled at the after-sales customer service on this website. I have several friends who I spec and build computers for, and also myself.
    In the recent past weeks, I have had several people contacting me about returning faulty goods and other problems such as:

Firstly, when a product was out of stock (after it said it was in stock before the order was made) you took no less than a week (in which many emails were sent to you about the matter) to even offer an option to choose a similar product to replace it. This not only delayed the order and the person was without a computer for a week, it also made me as a person who recommended this site highly look stupid.

Secondly, once the hardware was finally received, the 640Gb Hard Drive that was part of it was DOA. Several E-mails have been sent to your customer service department about this matter, and so far you have completely ignored all of them. This means the computer wouldn’t be usable if I had not had a spare HDD to lend out. To this date, not emails have been received off you about this, and it was approximately 6-7 weeks ago now.

Thirdly, an Asus motherboard became faulty and was sent back to you for replacement. You have refused to even look at what is wrong with this on the basis that the stock cooling system (heatsinks and connecting heatpipes) was removed for the installation of after-market cooling options, in this case, watercooling blocks for the Northbridge chip.

When you were asked to send it back to the customer so they could send it directly to Asus (who have been contacted about this and say you are responsible for replacements, and the removal of stock cooling is perfectly within rights and warranty limitations), you refused. So now this customer is £xxx out of pocket, and cannot even get the motherboard back!
    For a computer hardware website that sells water-cooling components, to refuse the replacement on this basis, as well as NOT SENDING THE MOTHERBOARD BACK is frankly ridiculous, especially when you consider you sell many watercooling components that require the removal of stock cooling for their installation.

This from a website that describes their customer service as:-
    “Our Support Mindset and Commitment to you
    Scan 3XS - Specification, Service, Satisfaction. What is 3XS? In a nutshell, we want to offer you the right Specification of goods and the right Service levels, for you to feel Satisfied with your shopping experience at Scan so you will have no hesitation to buy from us again.
    The 3XS mindset is adopted by all at Scan, from placing your order to after sales service we would like to offer you our assurance that our staff and procedures will keep you updated at all times to help meet your expectations of us.

Contact our team for any non-technical service queries such as order tracking and amendments, courier issues, damaged or wrong parts and general Information.”

Well I can safely say you have failed your “Support Mindset”. I and the other people this email is being sent on the behalf of are not at all satisfied with the shopping experience, the lack of updates or even responses to messages sent (I will be pleasantly surprised if I get a response from you regarding this message), and my expectations have not been met.

When I heard about this, particularly the motherboard scenario, I was disgusted. I just thought I would inform you of my opinion on the matter, and the fact that you have now lost any business from me, or any of the other people who have been affected by the above matters.

I will most definitely be recommending an alternative website as I have had good experiences so far with them to anyone who contacts me about new systems.
    -----------

-I would especially like to hear opinions on the motherboard issue.

Thanks,

-Salty
    Last edited by Salty_Pepperpot; 21-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks

Re: On behalf of several people's experiences with Scan.

Salty_Pepperpot

Thank you for the feedback

To act on this we will need the Invoice Number(s) of the order(s) in question so we can look into this further and respond in more detail.

You can either forward this information on by posting in the forum and we will liaise with the customer's in question, alternatively the customer themselves could post / PM ( If they have enough posts ) or forward their details through the Support Link of our web site referenced with my name ( Chris P )

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

I was about to place an order with scan, it being my first but even though I have twenty posts I can't get the free delivery for some reason, (been a few days since I hit the 20 mark), my gut instinct is starting to tell me to go elsewhere with my order....

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the speedy response. I will let the customers know and post the relevant information, asap.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Pepperpot View Post
    This not only delayed the order and the person was without a computer for a week, it also made me as a person who recommended this site highly look stupid.
    If the person needed to have their computer back online as quickly as possible then why didn't they go to a local store or even (/gasp) PC World to pick up spare parts? Were they waiting on Scan to get stock because it was cheaper? If so, not really Scan's fault that the computer was offline for a week was it? Try not to cloud the issue.

Secondly, once the hardware was finally received, the 640Gb Hard Drive that was part of it was DOA. Several E-mails have been sent to your customer service department about this matter, and so far you have completely ignored all of them. This means the computer wouldn’t be usable if I had not had a spare HDD to lend out. To this date, not emails have been received off you about this, and it was approximately 6-7 weeks ago now.
    Did they try calling? If they sent emails and didn't receive a reply in a timely fashion then maybe they were lost in transit?

Thirdly, an Asus motherboard became faulty and was sent back to you for replacement. The person who ordered the motherboard has contributed about £5000 pounds worth of business himself, and so was expecting a quick and painless replacement or refund.
    So Scan should give priority or even special service to those that spend more? Wouldn't that be unethical?

You have refused to even look at what is wrong with this on the basis that the stock cooling system (heatsinks and connecting heatpipes) was removed for the installation of after-market cooling options, in this case, watercooling blocks for the Northbridge chip.
    This seems odd. Do you have a quote from an email or is this just third hand information? I've returned parts I've installed in a system under DSR without hassle. Was the motherboard sent back in a modified state? I could see that being an issue from a testing point of view.

So now this customer is £xxx out of pocket, and cannot even get the motherboard back!
    Are you saying Scan refuse to return the motherboard? I find that highly unlikely. There's something missing here. Unpaid charges maybe?

When I heard about this, particularly the motherboard scenario, I was disgusted. I just thought I would inform you of my opinion on the matter, and the fact that you have now lost any business from me, or any of the other people who have been affected by the above matters. This includes two Core i7 based systems I have been asked to spec, one of which will be watercooled.
    You do realize when people are angry and especially when they feel they've been aggrieved they can exaggerate their circumstance?

I love when people wave the "dollar carrot" and try to bribe Scan into changing their policy. Stick to the logic and reasoning behind the argument please!

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by macphee70 View Post
    I was about to place an order with scan, it being my first but even though I have twenty posts I can't get the free delivery for some reason, (been a few days since I hit the 20 mark), my gut instinct is starting to tell me to go elsewhere with my order....
    Have you contacted Scan about possible issues with linking your account? I was well over 20 posts when I applied and there was a minor issue somewhere which they promptly rectified for me. There aren't always demons lurking in every dark corner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macphee70 View Post
    I even though I have twenty posts I can't get the free delivery for some reason.
    Please PM your real name, postcode and email address - so we can look into this.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by david@scan View Post
    Please PM your real name, postcode and email address - so we can look into this.
    Or just ring them up. I had the same issue and Lee (i think) fixed it on the spot.)
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

To be honest in the 10 - 15 orders I have placed with SCAN I have had ONE item that was out of stock and the order wasn't delayed then and I received an e-mail promptly when I asked for a product change.

I have received my orders when stated and have only had to contact SCAN, ONCE after receiving an order.

In regards to warranty voiding, doesn't state on some products that modifying the product in any way will void the warranty?

Bugbait, I do love it when people wave the "I have spent £x amount with you over the years". The best part is where they create an account just to moan. Never for the positive. Brilliant!

So in short, I have had nothing but excellent Customer Service from SCAN. macphee70, don't hesitate in ordering from SCAN. You will be pleased.
    Last edited by Disturbedguy; 21-07-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

I'm not defending Scan because I'm a fanboi (intentional misspelling), I've criticized them in the past about delay notifications, Citylink deliveries and a bit of a poke about Scansure earlier today. However, there's plenty of threads pointing fingers at Scan and accusing them of this and that which are only loosely grounded in fact.

I've received B-grade (well, dirty) goods before but Scan have apologized and sorted it out within 24 hours. I've raised several RMA's but never had any problems because I do what I can to make it easier for myself, always providing clear descriptions of faults and how to reproduce errors, etc.

When I've needed an order urgently sent I've followed up via phone to ensure everything is in stock and swapped or dropped items when required so it goes out on time.

Believe it or not there is some responsibility on the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Bugbait, I do love it when people wave the "I have spent £x amount with you over the years". The best part is where they create an account just to moan. Never for the positive. Brilliant!
    Better yet, when people moan like crazy and then proceed to order with Scan again . People should create accounts out of boredom at work...like me.

Thanks

it also made me as a person who recommended this site highly look stupid.
    Shouldn't it be "look highly stupid"

Jon

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Shouldn't it be "look highly stupid"

Jon
    Not if he meant it made him look stupid because he highly recommended the site. i.e. if "highly" modifies "recommended" and not, as you suggest, meant "highly stupid".

Besides, he's here to resolve a problem not get a grammar lesson. Let's let him do that, eh? .... because we don't want this going off into an argument about semantics.

Thanks

Yes you are correct Saracen, in which case he should have used a comma

Anyway back on topic.

Jon

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post

<snip>

I think that one should not have to make an account "to moan" as you say, but should get the customer service promised without having to resort to this. However, I thought the best way to get a response from someone who knows the Scan procedures etc. would be to create an account here where I can talk to a representative and get the problem fixed. In this regard, I am very impressed with the swiftness of the response, and I am looking forward to sorting this matter out. And anyway, I have never looked into the forums here and therefore have not created an account.

I am new to watercooling and I look forward to asking you guys any questions I cant find the answer to myself, but also answering questions where I can- Ill try putting back in the amount of info i get out

With regards to the £x amount of money spent comment, believe me, I am not out to cause an argument in any respect, and thus have removed the point of contention here as yes, it isnt relevant and can only cause more of this. I dont like arguing so I hope Ive cleared up any issues you have raised. Peace!

P.S The relevant people have been informed of the response and are following your advice. Thanks Chris P!
    Last edited by Salty_Pepperpot; 21-07-2009 at 10:39 PM.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

At the end of the day, if Scan didn't want people to moan, they wouldn't operate this forum or else they'd just lock and delete all negative threads.

I've had my fair share of poor service from them in the past, and if people want to sign up to make a complaint then that's absolutely their choice - in fact that's why I signed up to Hexus forums in the first place, to complain to Scan.

There's no doubting that the service salty received was extremely poor, so surely the best thing to do is just wait to see what reasons Chris P gives for the decisions/problems that occurred during the recent transactions rather than trying to pre-empt what might have happened... although it seems like people do jump on a lot of bandwagons in the Scan forum, whether it's for or against... who knows whose fault it is half the time!

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

TBH, i think SCAN is one of the only companies that i have never had problems with (we'll i've had problems with practically all of my orders [caused by me ], but SCAN have fixed them all instantly )

One thing people need to bare in mind about the interwebs, is that people are (in general) alot quicker to complain rather than praise... Hence why there is a higher number of complaint threads to jovial threads.. It's the way humans work..

That isn't really related to the OP, but just so people bare it in mind before saying things like "i've seen lots of negative posts i'm not buying from them", yes, lots of negative posts, but read the whole thread and view the resolution... Sure sometimes the customer doesn't get what they want (i.e. a ten year old GFX card dies and they want &#163;500 replacement because it cost that when it was purchased)

Anyway, i digress, Salty_Pepperpot i'm sure your problem will be rectified amicably
    Last edited by TAKTAK; 21-07-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information