View Poll Results: Do you believe in aliens?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I believe there are aliens out there

102 82.26%
  • No, there is no such thing as aliens.

22 17.74%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in aliens

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    It's nice and healthy to see that more than twice as many people on here believe in aliens than believe in God.
    Well God isnt fashionable in the Western world at the moment

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    One of the female contestants believes that life on earth was created by aliens and PRAYS TO THEM DAILY (BWAHAHAHA)
    Whats so funny? Bet it wouldnt be so funny if they were right

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    i believe in alien life forms, but i don't really think there will be much more intelligent life out there.....

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ab1385
    Well, I can say why I *think* there's not...

As I said in the other 'God thread', I believe in God and in Him creating us. Thus, I believe we weren't here by chance. In fact, I don't believe that intelligent life can form just by 'chance', but requires the guiding hand of God. (Sorry, enough with the religion, I know how much you lot all hae it!) But its a logical reason to me why they shouldn't exist.

If you believe that we exist due to chance, then there is no way there are no other life forms at least as intelligent as us, infinite possibilities etc.

Of course, my understanding of what the bible says, and therefore what I believe is limited, so there could well be aliens anyway. Meh. What do I know?
    you say that you believe that intelligent lifeforms dont exist by chance but are created by god.... so... supposing this "god" of yours exists outwith the planet earth, since he's supposed to be "almighty", right? whats to stop him creating more than one intelligent life form on different planets/solarsystems?

but then again, as someone already said, how can you believe in god but not believe in aliens, since god would be classed as an alien if we look upon "aliens" as lifeforms not from this planet... you cant believe in one and not the other imo.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    lol, point taken. Though largely a matter of definitions, I see what you mean. I think that God is completely capable of creating other life forms, just for me the 'chance' argument is invalid, as I dont thin chance had a part to play as such.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Not entirely sure there's that much "intelligent" life on this rock tbh

But yeah, the universe is so damned vast I certainly believe that it's possible that life already evolved on many other planets.
    Something like 100 billion galaxies can be viewed with modern telescopes, obviously there are likely to be many many more that we currently can't see, each galaxy can have in the region of several hundred billion stars, so with some simple math the universe holds upwards of something like 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars..

Then you need to calculate what fraction of those stars have planetary systems, and which fraction of those have planetary systems capable of habouring life, and out of those how many reach maturity and how many of those reach a technological state..

With even the most pessimistic odds we end up with figures of between 10 and 10,000 intelligent and communicating civilisations in our own galaxy!. Scale that up to universal levels and you're talking about a whole bunch of little green people
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    The religious part of it is a big part. I have different views on it. If god created us, who created god. If there was a big bang, how did the matter and energy even come to existence. How to god come into existence? How do we know this is existence? Who knows what existence really is? Are we here? Are we now? Is this real?

So many questions but I do agree with concentrating our efforts on this rock. Neither the technology nor resources has developed for taking a big trip to another dot in the nights sky. Also, tommorow, an asteroid could wipe out this whole planet. So, why not protect our own planet first? Surely there are means to bind the planet and create a planetary defence.

I do believe in aliens although i can't even begin to imagine anything about them.

Obviously they could look different. We evolved not only due to our habitat but to the whole planet itself. The strength of the gravitational pull, the weather, the amount of oxygen and nitrogen etc.

There are so many factors.

But overall, yes aliens must be somewhere out there, even if they were bugs.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Jesus was an alien
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ab1385
    lol, point taken. Though largely a matter of definitions, I see what you mean. I think that God is completely capable of creating other life forms, just for me the 'chance' argument is invalid, as I dont thin chance had a part to play as such.

it's more to do with probability than chance, and you cant really argue with probability cos it's mathematical etc.

ie.

big fk off solar systems + lots of planets = probability that there's other lifeforms out there.

iMc
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    big fk off solar systems + lots of planets = probability that there's other lifeforms out there.
    I have to agree with that statement.
    HEXUS|iMc

Banned
    Thanks
    What Ben said.

Aliens as in another planent somewhere in the universe with life, intellegent or otherwise; yes. Very unlikely that life exsists only on Earth.

Aliens as in little green nobs flying about in saucers, abducting fat American's, and then flying back to planet Zorg... no.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    That is, word for word, exactly how Stephen Hawking put it, in his latest book.

Thanks
    I don't believe that everything that we see around us is down to chance. It is obvious that there is a design to everything. I believe we are unique, special and not a result of random occurances. Therefore I don't believe aliens could have been created so they don't exist.

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    With even the most pessimistic odds we end up with figures of between 10 and 10,000 intelligent and communicating civilisations in our own galaxy!. Scale that up to universal levels and you're talking about a whole bunch of little green people
    I'd love to see the maths you used there.

I think it likely there are aliens out there, that we will ever meet other intelligent life i am less sure, while technology does continue to develop and it is impossible to invisage what discoveries will be made, some things may just not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    I don't believe that everything that we see around us is down to chance. It is obvious that there is a design to everything. I believe we are unique, special and not a result of random occurances. Therefore I don't believe aliens could have been created so they don't exist.
    How is it obvious there is design? I in no way understand your reasoning here, we are unique therefore aliens can't exist? It's unlikely aliens if they do exist will be a facsimilie of us, therefore we remain unique, if that feeling provides you with comfort.
    Last edited by fondie; 31-05-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    at this time I bet theres some "other" Life-forms on a planet many many millions of lightyears away all chatting about the same thing, it is more than likely and theoretically possible that they have their own "Seti" running but who's to say they use the same constraints and frequencies we use to transmit signals - they probably use some other format hence why we have yet to find a single radio transmition or signal on Seti or any other analytical program.

As for the theory about Aliens being god etc I caused absolutre chaos with my old RE teacher by discussing with him the fact that who's to say that Earth is just like a giant ant farm, with us being monitored by aliens because we are their science experiment. They came down, did genetic mutations on some monkeys and volia - man was born. Why do you think people are still getting abducted? maybe they are monitoring our progress in evolution for their "exam" results

Thats not my view - I just pop it into a discussion about humans, god etc as you do in a RE class and got a roasting for it

On a more bizarre note - I recently read on a website ( I'll find the URL later ) that some sightings of UFO's intensify when there is going to be a huge "problem" in the immediate area such as a rebel rising etc.

Who knows if aliens exist and if we will EVER see any of them, I'm onto the lateral thinking that it is highly probable but unless they land outside number 10, The white house or the kremlin then not everyone is going to believe that "they are out there"

Lee

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fondie
    I'd love to see the maths you used there.
    It's called the Drake Equation.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information