Page 370 of 499 FirstFirst ... 270320330340350360367368369370371372373380390400410420470 ... LastLast
Results 5,905 to 5,920 of 7972

Thread: Photo-a-day

  1. #5905
    Photographer Bobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Dorset
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    356 times in 294 posts
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by rox0r View Post
    Not sure if it's just jpg compression Bob but there's quite a bit of distracting noise in the black below the moon there.
    turn your brightness down a smidge and it will disappear

    JPEG compression can be an arse at times.. i expect if i added some noise, it would go when saved..

  2. #5906
    Zzzzzzz sleepyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked
    292 times in 162 posts

    Re: Photo-a-day

    So, another RAW file edit...thoughts?


  3. #5907
    DILLIGAF GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,872
    Thanks
    632
    Thanked
    1,192 times in 945 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    So, another RAW file edit...thoughts?

    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...DSC06713_R.jpg
    a bit dark for my liking, maybe shoot raw+jpg so you can see what it should come out like and then tweak it.

    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

  4. #5908
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,892
    Thanks
    1,838
    Thanked
    3,340 times in 2,684 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Hehe I was about to say the opposite

    I looks like the camera or editor has brought up the exposure because there's so much shadow in the scene, and it's blown the sky a bit as a result.

    It's a really, really awkward scene to sort out - aside from showing your sensor sees a lot of detail in shadows without noise it's kind of hard to use/find the point of interest, which determines what you need to sort out in PP and what you can sacrifice. And something would have to be sacrificed because it's such an awkward scene in terms of lighting.

    So er.. I'm not being very helpful. You could saturate the colours a bit more, whack up the contrast, create some pop in an attempt to tell a story from the picture, if making it less accurate.

  5. Received thanks from:

    sleepyhead (03-08-2012)

  6. #5909
    Photographer Bobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Dorset
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    356 times in 294 posts
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

    Re: Photo-a-day

    if you look at your histogram, your midtones are lacking in brightness, all your details are in the highlights and shadows..

    another moon shot, this from just now - clear sky, not a cloud about - clearer i think, and adding noise to the blacks seems to have worked with the JPEG compression issue


    might see if i can take a moon shot every night for the next month

  7. Received thanks from:

    sleepyhead (03-08-2012)

  8. #5910
    DILLIGAF GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,872
    Thanks
    632
    Thanked
    1,192 times in 945 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

    Re: Photo-a-day

    that's nice bob, i just couldn't seem to get a sharp shot using my 7-300G lens on the sony


    need to tinker a bit more when i get the chance.

    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

  9. #5911
    Zzzzzzz sleepyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked
    292 times in 162 posts

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Hehe I was about to say the opposite

    I looks like the camera or editor has brought up the exposure because there's so much shadow in the scene, and it's blown the sky a bit as a result.

    It's a really, really awkward scene to sort out - aside from showing your sensor sees a lot of detail in shadows without noise it's kind of hard to use/find the point of interest, which determines what you need to sort out in PP and what you can sacrifice. And something would have to be sacrificed because it's such an awkward scene in terms of lighting.

    So er.. I'm not being very helpful. You could saturate the colours a bit more, whack up the contrast, create some pop in an attempt to tell a story from the picture, if making it less accurate.
    I chose that as it is a tough one to sort out. The sun was setting, so a lot of the photo was in the shade of the buildings (hence the lamps were lit up), but the sun and sky was still blazing. I think I understand what you are trying to say; I need to bring out the focus of the picture and sacrifice the other areas. Is that right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    if you look at your histogram, your midtones are lacking in brightness, all your details are in the highlights and shadows.
    Ahhh OK. I get it. If I try to increase the midtones on the tone curve, the picture looks whited out...

  10. #5912
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,892
    Thanks
    1,838
    Thanked
    3,340 times in 2,684 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    I need to bring out the focus of the picture and sacrifice the other areas. Is that right?
    Pretty much. But by focus you should mean 'the story you are trying to tell with the picture'. Or alternatively 'why did I decide to press the shutter?'

    The reason could be technical ('this looks like a challenging scene, lets see how the camera/my PP skills cope') in which case you'd probably want to concentrate on recording as much information as possible and not killing it in the PP - so sharpness, getting the most dynamic range captured and then displayed etc. So you'd concentrate on avoiding clipping, checking the histogram etc. and you'll end up with an image that isn't very exciting to view afterwards.

    Alternatively there might be something about the scene that you thought would make a good picture. It could be the lantern cascade on the left in which case don't worry about blowing the sky or whatever in your quest to get them exposed in the way that shows off them off the best (and crop to re-frame). It could be you want to highlight all the red and white lanterns throughout the scene so again expose/adjust for them and tinker with the colours in a way that brings them out.

    Some of those things need to ideally be thought out before you take the picture, but by shooting raw you give yourself the most flexibility to bring out stories (or correct things) in PP.

    That picture might make a fun example to offer up to people in another thread to practise PP on to bring out different stories in the same photo. I'd suggest converting from DSC raw to DNG for compatibility with the most common workflows, using the free DNG converter from adobe:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5389

  11. #5913
    Chillie in here j.o.s.h.1408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    a place called home
    Posts
    8,544
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked
    256 times in 193 posts
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Hi. please critique my portrait shoot attempted on my wife i done today.

    i used off camera flash on some of these pics


    IMG_0373-2.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr


    IMG_0368-2.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr


    IMG_0317.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

  12. #5914
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    114 times in 72 posts
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    So, another RAW file edit...thoughts?
    You are never going to sort that frame out in post!

    The choice of subject is great but needs a bit of work with the camera to get a picture out of it.

    The spot meter on your camera is your friend (if you have one). Point it at the brightest area of the scene (the sky). Then point it at the darkest area of interest. The usable exposure range is about from 1/2 way down the negative (-) side of the light meter to about 1/2 way up the positive (+) side.

    Now, what were you trying to take a photo of? It's all a bit confusing really.

    The subject in the foreground is not going to stand out while there is so much sky in the frame. So, move to the left and get closer, to remove the sky and the confusing background. Use the spot meter to expose the highlights on the subject at about 1/2 way up the + side, perhaps shorten the DoF (if you can). You might get a more pleasing image, with the foreground subject standing out.

    Bracketing is also a great friend, while getting to grips with exposure. Your frame presents you with the choice of exposing the sky correctly and underexposing the subject or exposing the subject and over exposing the sky. Bracketing would allow you to see which choice might work best for you.

    Course I wasn't there and don't know what your camera can and can not do.
    Last edited by matts-uk; 04-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.

  13. #5915
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    114 times in 72 posts
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    Hi. please critique my portrait shoot attempted on my wife i done today.
    LOL. I am not worthy.

    Loving the exposure and DoF control, and the choice of background.

    Don't like the composition so much. Too much emphasis on the horizontal centre-line of the frame. There is a lot to be said with starting with your model offset and looking into the frame and staying with that unless you have a good reason to change it. Take the third frame as example; placing your model to the far left would have her looking into the frame and the viewer wondering what she might be looking at.

    First shot, weakest of the three IMO. Perhaps a bit of fill to the right. Perhaps a slight change of horizontal angle, to create a diagonal on the shoulder.

    Second shot, love the lower angle and you have created a diagonal along the shoulder.

    First and second shot the shoulder is dominating a bit. Was the focus point on the eye? Could you do something with the pose or camera positioning to alter the emphasis?

    The third shot, your wife's hair is softening the outline of the shoulder which I think looks a lot better. The light on your wife's hair looks great in the third frame and I gotta wonder what it would look like illuminating her face.

    You are of course very lucky to have such a lovely subject to pose for you

  14. Received thanks from:

    j.o.s.h.1408 (04-08-2012)

  15. #5916
    Photographer Bobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Dorset
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    356 times in 294 posts
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    Hi. please critique my portrait shoot attempted on my wife i done today.

    i used off camera flash on some of these pics
    good attempt, but think about light angle and the way the shadow is passing over your subject

  16. Received thanks from:

    j.o.s.h.1408 (05-08-2012)

  17. #5917
    Photographer Bobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Dorset
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    356 times in 294 posts
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

    Re: Photo-a-day

    2 speedlight setup - 60cm softbox camera left - single bare flash behind subject

  18. #5918
    Zzzzzzz sleepyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,514
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked
    292 times in 162 posts

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Pretty much. But by focus you should mean 'the story you are trying to tell with the picture'. Or alternatively 'why did I decide to press the shutter?'

    The reason could be technical ('this looks like a challenging scene, lets see how the camera/my PP skills cope') in which case you'd probably want to concentrate on recording as much information as possible and not killing it in the PP - so sharpness, getting the most dynamic range captured and then displayed etc. So you'd concentrate on avoiding clipping, checking the histogram etc. and you'll end up with an image that isn't very exciting to view afterwards.

    Alternatively there might be something about the scene that you thought would make a good picture. It could be the lantern cascade on the left in which case don't worry about blowing the sky or whatever in your quest to get them exposed in the way that shows off them off the best (and crop to re-frame). It could be you want to highlight all the red and white lanterns throughout the scene so again expose/adjust for them and tinker with the colours in a way that brings them out.

    Some of those things need to ideally be thought out before you take the picture, but by shooting raw you give yourself the most flexibility to bring out stories (or correct things) in PP.

    That picture might make a fun example to offer up to people in another thread to practise PP on to bring out different stories in the same photo. I'd suggest converting from DSC raw to DNG for compatibility with the most common workflows, using the free DNG converter from adobe:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5389
    What I wanted to focus on was the lanterns being lit up. Framing it was impossible. This is the Gion summer festival; there are so many people, you walk without walking. A lot of photos were opportunistic, i.e. I could get my arms up and out to take a photo. When I was editing the RAW file, I was trying to be too scientific about it. I'll have a go and put on my artistic glasses.

    Quote Originally Posted by matts-uk View Post
    You are never going to sort that frame out in post!

    The choice of subject is great but needs a bit of work with the camera to get a picture out of it.

    The spot meter on your camera is your friend (if you have one). Point it at the brightest area of the scene (the sky). Then point it at the darkest area of interest. The usable exposure range is about from 1/2 way down the negative (-) side of the light meter to about 1/2 way up the positive (+) side.

    Now, what were you trying to take a photo of? It's all a bit confusing really.

    The subject in the foreground is not going to stand out while there is so much sky in the frame. So, move to the left and get closer, to remove the sky and the confusing background. Use the spot meter to expose the highlights on the subject at about 1/2 way up the + side, perhaps shorten the DoF (if you can). You might get a more pleasing image, with the foreground subject standing out.

    Bracketing is also a great friend, while getting to grips with exposure. Your frame presents you with the choice of exposing the sky correctly and underexposing the subject or exposing the subject and over exposing the sky. Bracketing would allow you to see which choice might work best for you.

    Course I wasn't there and don't know what your camera can and can not do.
    Bracketing, my camera can do. I don't know what you mean by spot meter. As I mentioned earlier, framing was impossible due to the event.

    As an aside, I just came back from a great automotive event called "HitomiGO". This is just the JPEG off the camera.

    ちょっ吉 at Meihan by JDM Box, on Flickr

  19. #5919
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,892
    Thanks
    1,838
    Thanked
    3,340 times in 2,684 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Creepy crawly



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    Hi. please critique my portrait shoot attempted on my wife i done today.

    i used off camera flash on some of these pics
    A reflector would do wonders, just to remove the shadows from the opposite side of the main light source.

  20. #5920
    Photographer Bobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Dorset
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    356 times in 294 posts
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb

    Re: Photo-a-day

    Cinnabar (Tyria jacobaeae)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Valentines Day!
    By MurphmanL in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 15-02-2007, 10:31 AM
  2. A fun day at Brands!
    By Shad in forum Automotive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-12-2006, 05:59 PM
  3. City Link Next Day ?
    By Shocky01 in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
  4. 29/10/04 - Pink Ribbon Day
    By Lee H in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 08:50 PM
  5. Posts Per Day
    By XTR in forum HEXUS Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-03-2004, 08:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •