• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Elite : Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    You don't - they auto engage hostile targets. (Red on radar).
    You can change their mode using a control on the right hand panel. By default in a conflict zone they try and aggro everything in sight and get you killed

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    Just found an unexplored sector with 90 objects.

Going to be here a while
    I really want to justify exploring, but I don't know what puts me off of it. Guess I enjoy dogfighting too much. What's your ship+outfitting?

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Apparently if you want to go exploring the way to do it is to get a hauler, i kid you not. Put an A rated jump drive in, D everything else a fuel scoop and the scanners and it has a jump range of 30+ LY! Cheap as chips to do as well.

Did some exploring for the community goal yesterday and made 850k plus got my name on another 17 planets

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Started playing this again since we can now do proper multiplayer. Any of you done much with the Wings update, to enable easier multiplayer?

In a lowly Cobra Mk3 with passable weapons and a shield cell...managing to go head to head with ASP's and mostly come out on top as long as they don't have too much help! Will start jumping back onto the team speak server. Could one of you please post the details again as I've recently formatted and lost them

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Started playing this again since we can now do proper multiplayer. Any of you done much with the Wings update, to enable easier multiplayer?

In a lowly Cobra Mk3 with passable weapons and a shield cell...managing to go head to head with ASP's and mostly come out on top as long as they don't have too much help! Will start jumping back onto the team speak server. Could one of you please post the details again as I've recently formatted and lost them
    TS server details can be found in the elite useful info thread.

Yup been doing a bit of wings for trade, combat and exploration. Its still not totally seamless but is a lot better at getting everyone into the same bit of space than it used to be.

Found a pretty good way to make money is to do the killing missions as a wing. Everyone goes to the same station at the same time, takes the mission and off we go hunting for them. They are usually in an anaconda but on their own so 2/3 people in relatively OK ships can take it down pretty easy. Mission worth 150k+ and they usually got 300k of bounty on them too so just make sure someone has a k-warrant scanner.

6. Received thanks from:

cptwhite_uk (07-04-2015),KeyboardDemon (07-04-2015)

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post

As mentioned by Kanoe, the TS details can be found in the Useful info thread, however for your convenience here they are:

Biscuit's TS Server - 85.236.100.121:11327

One of the guys with Admin rights will need to be online with you in order to enable voice chat for you, just ask them to set your Channel Group to Voice (Perm) and your Server Group to Normal User (Perm).

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    Gimbal on top of that, Christ you might as well just have an auto pilot and do nothing!
    I fly a Vulture with C2 gimbals on...

Admitedly, I'm only doing that because the time on target is shorter than my Asp and I'm just grinding to get cash for more ships, but hey - You play the game how you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    I do think this is going to be a trial and error game, especially with trying to get to distant planets / stations. If I don't overshoot I simply lose it lol
    Learn to govern your throttle better!!!

Seriously, the ships all have mass, which means they will take time to slow down. Remember this and don't go blazing during take-off/landing.

Same for going along in space, although there is a trick for this:
    As you increase your throttle, there is a horizontal marker that shows what you've set the throttle at. To the side of the speed gauge, there is a blue segment.
    In normal flight, putting the marker within the blue area will give you maximum manoeuvrability for the amount of power you have diverted to engines.

In SuperCruise flight with a destination targeted, putting this marker within the blue area will turn the marker blue. At that setting, you will automatically speed up and then slow down according to the optimum speed for the distance you're travelling.
    If you're going a fair distance (1000LS or more) then you can max out throttle to go even faster, but settle back down to the blue zone before you reach about 300LS from your destination, else you will start to overshoot.

If you do start overshoot, you can always veer away from the destination as you throttle back, whereupon you will start to slow down. The nav panel to the left (of forward view, not the UI panel) shows things like distance to target, speed, etc. It also shows the destination lock as a blue box. Move off course until that box goes out, then throttle back until you're at a sensible speed, then get back on course.
    It's quicker than the Noob's Loop of having to turn all the way around again.

Also, remember that planets have gravity and you have mass. If you cruise too close to a planet you will speed up and then slow down again, linda like slingshotting round the sun. This may affect whether you overshoot a destination, especially if it's close to a planet.

9. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Apparently if you want to go exploring the way to do it is to get a hauler, i kid you not. Put an A rated jump drive in, D everything else a fuel scoop and the scanners and it has a jump range of 30+ LY! Cheap as chips to do as well.

Did some exploring for the community goal yesterday and made 850k plus got my name on another 17 planets
    That works surprisingly well doesn't it: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60V,5Q...c,2jw4zq7OW2UI

Slightly compromised as you don't get an auto field maintenence unit which is supposed to be a good idea in case you emergency stop into a star or something when 10000LY from home.

From memory I think my Asp setup is: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60g,0m...5U0L64zM2jw2UI

Which is bent towards exploring, but also useful for doing missions as well as it has some hold space left over and can defend itself fairly well. That is the weak spot for exploring with this setup, don't get into a fight as you won't be able to reload the main weapons. All lasers might be cleverer, but would need some power balancing and I haven't been attacked in the middle of nowhere yet.

I usually explore with navigation on economical route rather than fastest in which case I get around 500ly out of a tank. I was using fastest route but the downtime on fuel scooping is significant and I got range anxiety in the Taurus dark nebula as all the systems were dwarf stars that couldn't be skimmed so I switched to economical routes to get myself out safely and just left it there.

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

I spent the weekend learning to fly. Going back to my original question all them light-years ago: Is this game beginner friendly?

The answer is most definitely no. However, the community and mass of guides / videos out there makes it a quick but steep learning curve.

What I only realised through playing and tips above, was the amount of information the ships dashboard provides you with. Checking this when in SC stops over shooting, and with practice I can now drop out of supercruise within 7-9km of the station or starport. Using the blue "cruise control" zone also helped with getting the correct speed.

It is also a big help when aligning with docking pads.

I can now enter a station letterbox without crashing, applying a small roll to the ship to match the stations spin speed helped wonders!

So, I am happy to say I have passed the "basics" and am very much enjoying things. I haven't tried open yet though as the Steam forums are filled with stories of lag... I want a cash base before I am forced to restart from scratch by lag.

M next goals are to do some community missions, and get out of LHS 3447 / Eravate and explore some of the other systems. I want my Sol permit too!

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The answer is most definitely no. However, the community and mass of guides / videos out there makes it a quick but steep learning curve.
    Pretty much, yeah.
    There is a lot to go through, but rather than just being characteristics of the game, they actually make sense for the most part. But once you learn it, the game is pretty effortless.

The harder part was playing the Betas and not getting any instruction from FD, but trying to figure out how it all worked!

Checking this when in SC stops over shooting, and with practice I can now drop out of supercruise within 7-9km of the station or starport.

I haven't tried open yet though as the Steam forums are filled with stories of lag... I want a cash base before I am forced to restart from scratch by lag.
    Try it before you start getting anywhere, as you may find you have no lag at all.

Certainly the lag lessens as you move away from where most players tend to gather in large numbers. But Elite seems far more popular than the Devs actually imagined, which means you will get times when everything is VERY busy, hence bringing in Steam for a more widespread and stable distribution than the P2P or whatever they were using before.

13. Received thanks from:

Chadders87 (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

M next goals are to do some community missions, and get out of LHS 3447 / Eravate and explore some of the other systems. I want my Sol permit too!
    Can you afford a fuel scoop? Preferably with an updated FSD. Travelling far without a fuel scoop runs the risk of getting stuck somewhere with only self destruct as an option.

Try plotting a route to the "Tsu" system. Along the way you will drop into star systems that don't turn up on the scanner. Your discovery scanner (even the Basic one) will pick up nearby items automatically and if you activate it in a firing group it will pick up some other bodies in the system (or all of them with the 1.5Mcr advanced scanner). Target some stuff until the HUD stops saying "Undiscovered", then on the navigation list on the left panel you should be able to find the next destination on the way to Tsu marked on there so select that and on your way.

If you get to Tsu in the next couple of days, you should be able to pick up the community mission there and once you have it *then* submit your star data and it should count. I would expect 10s of thousands of credits for your data, and a guarantee of at least a 50K reward when the community task expires or hits top tier (which it may well).

50K is almost the cost of a basic Hauler

If you only have the basic Sidewinder 7ly range then you may not be able to plot a route there.

I think it took me about 4 Federation missions to get the Sol permit, I think that was when I was in a Hauler still.

15. Received thanks from:

Chadders87 (07-04-2015)

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Checking this when in SC stops over shooting, and with practice I can now drop out of supercruise within 7-9km of the station or starport. Using the blue "cruise control" zone also helped with getting the correct speed.
    If you are within 1Mn, are below 1Mn/s and alligned (ie, all three prerequisites on the left hand side of the dashboard by the target; they go blue when good) then you will always drop out at this range. However, the one thing that does affect your exit is your relative position to the station when you exit. You'll notice that the stations usually point towards the planet/moon they are orbitting. As you get better, you will start to adjust your flight path to help exit with the the station docking port in front of you. Note, twice I have exitted into the rear of the bigger stations, but managed to survive with my shields intact!

As mentioned above, you need to do Bulletin Missions for the Federation to get a Sol permit. It didn't take many ranks to get. But a word of warning, check whether the goods you need to get are illegal or not. For those type of missions, I went to an outpost first before accepting them (you don't get scanned there). See the guide I posted last week (the site has a guide for Federation ranks as well, although they are both the same missions).

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

I just noticed a mission to donate 4 mil to an empire faction thing. If I was to would it give me a MASSIVE rep boost?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by erudito87 View Post
    I just noticed a mission to donate 4 mil to an empire faction thing. If I was to would it give me a MASSIVE rep boost?
    Assuming its a rank progression one no, don't do it. Go to another empire station and pick up a different (usuallu courier or erant general) mission.

Banned
    Thanks

Just ended my slave trading and wedding barge killing escapades. I moved from LHS 3447 to Lave and thought it was about time to stop being such a good commander.

So I've gone back to the old work of trading while I fit out my Cobra for it's new mission, CMDR killing. Without mercy or reason.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Assuming its a rank progression one no, don't do it. Go to another empire station and pick up a different (usuallu courier or erant general) mission.
    thanks
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thread Information