Page 41 of 146 FirstFirst ... 112131383940414243445161718191141 ... LastLast

Thread: New ATI Tuner Card.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I got Media Portal working on my 550 pro. I had to remove the first of the two entries for 'Capturecard commercialname="ATI TV Wonder Elite"' in the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml. I haven't tried any of the features yet, did try recording. it worked.

Those Media Portal guys rock, they added support without even having a card. Someone just sent them graphedit filter graphs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlslcbr
    I REALLY don't understand... They could make the card work well with MMC 9.03
    http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/1243/0/1/0/
    I clicked the link and didn't find the paragraph you quoted.

However, maybe download the PowerColor drivers for your card (theatrix, elite, etc..) and it might work with MMC. (Maybe i'm too optimistic)

- rp

Thanks
    ppeople have already reported gettin mmc 9.03 to work with 550 cards.

Thanks
    Sure it 9.03 work if want only want watch Live TV only other then that you can do any eles with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpertusio
    I clicked the link and didn't find the paragraph you quoted.
    Neither could I...
    It seems that they re-tested the software on a different machine, and erased everything they said about MMC.

Thanks
    I REALLY don't understand... They could make the card work well with MMC 9.03
    http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/1243/0/1/0/
    I stand corrected. It appears the the PowerColor has the same edition Power Cinema the Sapphire card has.

S.

Thanks

the penny drops

Neither could I...
    It seems that they re-tested the software on a different machine, and erased everything they said about MMC.
    Yeah, quite odd...
    They don't speculate as to why the card didn't play with the first test machine.

Shocking temperature: 59°C!

I'm surprised at the reviewer's take on Power Cinema. It's at odds with observations on this thread. I think we've got a classic situation here. PowCin will work, but it musn't find anything, hard or soft, on your system it doesn't like. And it won't work if it doesn't find certain things, so a fresh install won't help it. Plus it lacks the fine-tuning that's a pre-requisite to making the card properly work for capture.

Ultimately ATi have got to finish the drivers so all the groovy features work. No point in ATi trying to pull a fast one anymore (thank you Question).

I expect nothing now from ATi but indications on the timeline to their publishing functional drivers. Can't expect them to apologize for shipping product without functional drivers: it's obvious ATi thinks itself too big for such a confession, else how could they have released the product with the drivers in this unfinished state? Sadly, it's a quite common practice in the IT industry: caveat emptor.

As for MMC, as Michael said, "ATi don't want to mislead people". So they are frantically hunting down references to MMC and stripping them off their website. Can't be too careful: there are lawyers out there. I'll bet they regret they can't strip them off already shipped product. They shouldn't worry: the release of this product was so badly done not many folk have the product anyway: lots of time to strip "MMC" off the in-stock boxes.

Well let's hope the net starts filling with similar reviews. Sure, they are TV reception only, but if the reviews are enthusiastic enough, then folks like Media Portal will start tinkering. And if ATi ever get the finger out and finish the drivers, we might just get a bit of 3rd party soft that'll do what we want.

And NOW the penny drops: why is there no MMC support? Because MMC would have exposed that the drivers aren't finished! PowCin is the perfect soft actually: helps disguise the card's unfinished reality.

I've seen companies with egg on their faces before. But these guys have got the whole chicken!

Thanks
    Im very suprised about this.. anyway.. not an ideal solution but you say you can watch tv in mmc just not record it? not ideal.. but use fraps?

Now here is the point I say something stupid.. but anyway WHY do yoou need a TV tuner?
    If you live in the UK, then the terrestrial channels are crap anyway.. which means you must also have sky, cable, or freeview...

If you have a box for sky, cable or freeview, just use the Svideo out (so using its tuner), and use that on the video in of your gfx card? (any ati card with a rage theater chip on the back doess video in).

I dont see the point in using the tuner.. and if you dont.. no point in one of these cards... or watching tv at all really...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    I dont see the point in using the tuner.. and if you dont.. no point in one of these cards... or watching tv at all really...
    Well, it's true you can watch tv with it, but it is also a building block in a personal video recorder system, cos one of the great uses of these pci tuner cards is digitalizing analog video/tv broadcasts. They are handy and cheap. The big issue is the mpeg2 spec virtually guarantees audio/video synch problems if the encoding is done at a software level. So the big thing about this card is the audio/video MPEG2 encoding is done in hardware and in synch. At least in theory

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Im very suprised about this.. anyway.. not an ideal solution but you say you can watch tv in mmc just not record it? not ideal.. but use fraps?

Now here is the point I say something stupid.. but anyway WHY do yoou need a TV tuner?
    If you live in the UK, then the terrestrial channels are crap anyway.. which means you must also have sky, cable, or freeview...

If you have a box for sky, cable or freeview, just use the Svideo out (so using its tuner), and use that on the video in of your gfx card? (any ati card with a rage theater chip on the back doess video in).

Among other things, I am running a multi tuner setup to record several shows at once without taxing the machine. The tuner is a necessary.

In cases when I want to do an s-video capture, say from a DV camera with family video, I don't want to be stuck with "good, better, best" recording settings with no ability to set bitrate or variable bitrate recording. There is nothing worse than finishing your recording, only to find it is too big to fit on a dvd. Now you have to transcode to make it fit, losing quality all the while.

S.

Thanks
    can i just ask one thing, why are we all so bothered about a tv card?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Because ATI promised a nearly 'perfect' card, with everything you could think of (comb filters, noise reduction, ***MMC support***, etc), but the card ended up being crap (the WORST software I've ever seen, unfinished drivers, no comb filters, etc)
    Enough reasons?
    Last edited by hrlslcbr; 05-03-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks
    Because ATI promised a nearly 'perfect' card, with everything you could think of (comb filters, noise reduction, ***MMC support***, etc), but the card ended up being crap (the WORST software I've ever seen, unfinished drivers, no comb filters, etc)
    Enough reasons?
    I'll buy your crappy card if you're unhappy with it .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    can i just ask one thing, why are we all so bothered about a tv card?
    Why do you hate Dell, Intel and PC World?

S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciregnol
    I'll buy your crappy card if you're unhappy with it .
    You send me a cashiers check for the amount I paid plus postage, and you can have it. If not, I'll wait for ATI to fix the drivers and software. I understand Michael B. is seeking answers from the hierarchy, and plans to revert to address our concerns--favorably I hope.

S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satnav4
    I understand Michael B. is seeking answers from the hierarchy, and plans to revert to address our concerns--favorably I hope.

S.

Yes, belive me he is going above and beoynd for us Now could you "satnav4" please try to learn to use the edit button... theres too many posts in this thread to be double posting Its getting to the point where people should color code there posts

Thread Information