Page 79 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2939495969767778798081828999109119129 ... LastLast
Results 1,249 to 1,264 of 2321

Thread: New ATI Tuner Card.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlslcbr
    You CAN capture from composite and S-Video with powercinema...
    What? My reply? Why?
    No, hrlslcbr he was referring to me, I think Jonas is happy that you are saying it again for him for my benefit
    Thing is, like many, I have suffered with conexant chips, but one can finally manage, by much madness, to encode up watchable stuff (kids videos to MPEG1).
    So I was eager for the 550Pro, but these delays had led to my finally throwing in the towel and buying a Hauppauge 150, only to take it back the next day. Why?
    Well, as satnav4 said, the winTV task processor use is higher when watching with the H150 (20 - 25%) and it is obviously the WinTV 2000 preview mode eating resources: with the conexant chip, it's about 4 - 10%, because this old card doesn't have preview.
    My test was to feed the 150 a composite signal to encode from my VCR: I didn't test s-video, still haven't bought a cable
    So I'm watching a small screen of the video I'm encoding, on 1024 X 768, and now I'm seeing the processor WinTV task at a constant 50% with spikes of up to 75%. If the H150's hardware is doing the encoding, why is the processor suddenly in a sweat handling this data stream? All it has to do is recieve the data stream from the H150, already nicely encoded up in the card's hardware, and dump it to my 7200 slave drive. This is on a box with no memory resident programs running: nigh-on a dedicated box (I have a seperate OS for this as I've always been using this conexant chip).
    Now, if switching to s-video makes this jump go away (taking a cue from what satnav4 says about these cards), I've acted prematurely in taking the unit back. Should've just broken down and bought the s-video cable!
    If you look at the hardware schematics, it's clear BOTH the H150 and the 550Pro cards encode to MPEG using their on-board hardware. Trust me, jonaslasky, this point was stressed way back and I didn't miss it. The PC has to decode the stream to display it. Normal stuff. Furthermore, even if the preview is eating resources, it should not affect the quality of the encode, nor it's audio synch, because the encoding should be happening on the card, not on the PC. And true enough, none of my tests had any flaws in the audio/video quality. Unfortunately this doesn't prove the H150 did the encoding of the composite signal: my processor may be just a smoothy. Of course what you see on the screen may jump and glitch a little, because the processor gets fed up at throwing resources at resolving the display, and craps that up to give itself some air, and that should be enough for it to recover it's wits and get on with encoding.
    What I mean is it is a common feature of digital video software that the encoder gets to hog resources, and the decoding for display gets a lower priority. It's a safeguard engineers build into the code to preserve encoding quality.
    My fear was that 50% processor use and higher for the WinTV task was too high to trust. At that rate, given you'll also be wanting to use your PC for doing something else, there will be errors on the encode on occasion, because the processor has got too many balls in the air all the time.
    I expected a slight drag, from the 20-25% used to decode the data stream and display the image, up to 28-30%, figuring 3% or so would be the energy needed to transfer the encoded data to my 7200 speed slave disk. But no, it's not 3%, it's 30% on the composite channel. Ten times more than it should be.
    I can't be bothered to go dig out the post someone made about the 550 Pro on composite running a console game, where he said he had a high processor use like I experienced.
    It's odd.
    Unfortunately I couldn't test the antenna input: that is, straight airwave broadcast: my antenna here is all mucked up.
    Plus this is all H150 talk, and this topic is the 550Pro.
    If someone does a similar test with the 550 Pro (puts on a video, runs the signal via composite to the 550Pro, then encodes the signal while watching), and gets only a small processor hit on the running task: basically, just the use that decoding the signal to the display requires, and the use that sending the encoded data to a slave drive requires, then I accept that either my poor PC has some "other" problem other than the general tiredness of it's boss, or the Hauppauge product has messed up its implementation of the composite channel. Or I had a duff H150 card, by lack of chance. I remember people have commented on their findings regarding this, but it's an archeological dig at this point to find out if they were encoding using an antenna, composite or s-video feed.

I regret I didn't try BeyondTV. It may handle these things better than the H150's native software, and my worries are therefore misplaced and all caused by dodgy hauppauge soft

satnav4, you said you'd made a satisfactory encode, but you hadn't said if you felt the 550Pro quality exceeded the H150. I'm curious...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalravi
    Your time line of a decent driver support from ATI extends unto 2006, 2008...! By that time I suppose ATI will bring out Theater 5500, and 550 will become history.
    I'm just being cynical. I remain confident ATi will give this card decent driver support before the end of the year: only 12 months after the announcement of it's release!
    These things happen. Look at motherboards. I've an ASUS P4S333, and the bios took around 2 years to arrive at the current stable 108c.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blakev
    satnav4, you said you'd made a satisfactory encode, but you hadn't said if you felt the 550Pro quality exceeded the H150. I'm curious...
    It is too soon to say, because I haven't done a recent 150 encode at the same bitrate with a similar program. I know my prior 150 encodes were excellent, and by memory, the 550 DVD looked a little softer on the computer. On the TV, played on my set top DVD player, the 550 encode looked just great. When I get some more time, I will do a comparison.

S.

Thanks
    Andrzej:
    Do you know if the card deinterlaces static scenes in captured video?
    Because I was using my GameCube and was surprised to see 'progressive' video coming from the composite connector. So, there could only be two reasons for this; either the card does some sort of deinterlacing or the GameCube's output signal (from composite) in some games is progressive...

Banned
    Thanks
    the 550 pro has gone from 1-3 days to Pre Order on the overclockers website
    so i guess it wont be coming THAT soon

Thanks
    spacded:
    I hope you get it soon; it's a very good card. You won't be disappointed.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlslcbr
    spacded:
    I hope you get it soon; it's a very good card. You won't be disappointed.
    Im almost gone past it!!, im losing interest!!!

sub
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi sub here, author of GB-PVR.

I now have a version of GB-PVR that works with the ATI 550 Pro. Before I unleash it on the wider public, I'm looking for a couple of users to take it for a test drive. If you'd like to give it a go email me at 'support -AT- devnz.com'.

If you dont know anything about GB-PVR, take a look at http://www.gbpvr.com
    Last edited by sub; 14-04-2005 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sub
    Hi sub here, author of GB-PVR.

I now have a version of GB-PVR that works with the ATI 550 Pro. Before I unleash it on the wider public, I'm looking for a couple of users to take it for a test drive. If you'd like to give it a go email me at 'support -AT- devnz.com'.

If you dont know anything about GB-PVR, take a look at http://www.gbpvr.com
    sub
    That's the best news this thread has ever heard.

sub
    Registered+
    Thanks
    I've now had a few people try it out, and the feedback has been good, so I've decided to make the release publically available.

Release announcement and download can be found here: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...3836#post33836

Enjoy

sub
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Here is a couple of screenshots for those that havn't seen GB-PVR before:

Thanks
    I can confirm GBPVR works, and the 550 records with perfect sync. I ran into a problem last night running my 150's at the same time. It may be an error in my setup. If anyone else experiences this problem, please note it is under investigation.

Now that GBPVR runs the 550, you can throw the Cyberlink software away. I can now recommend the 550 to anyone who wants to run a TiVo like setup. You can also record through S-Video.

Thanks sub for the software support.

S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satnav4
    Now that GBPVR runs the 550, you can throw the Cyberlink software away.
    This is a tremendous relief: guess I'll be calling Norway tonight

edit:
    Funny: you can see it here on Komplett UK: but you can't buy it.
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306371
    Last edited by blakev; 14-04-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeah cheers, but im from mexico, i had to use the chile preset since mexico is not supported and i dont have have really a little idea of what is epg... it still asking me from setup that

thanks
    msi k8n diamond - amd64 3000+ - xp90 - corsair twinx pc4400 2x512mb - evga 7800gtx - powercolor ati theather 550 pro - ocz modstream 450w

sub
    Registered+
    Thanks
    The chile setting should be fine, but I'll try and add mexico to the next release.

The EPG is the Electronic Program Guide, or in layman's terms 'your tv show listings'.

GB-PVR has built in stuff to make it easy to get TV listing in the US/Canada/UK, but for the rest of the world users will need to use XMLTV to get TV listings (see http://www.xmltv.org).

Once you have XMLTV successfully generating a listing file, then you can configure GB-PVR to use the XMLTV Plugin, and point it to your XMLTV file.

Thanks
    Thank you sub.
    Yes we appreciate this extra option.

Thread Information